The world is my home

Expand Current Page

Registering a Vehicle in Ireland

Find out how to register a car, motorbike or scooter in Ireland - where to go and the documents required for new and used vehicles...

Registering a Vehicle with the Revenue Commissioners

An appointment to have a vehicle registered and inspected must be made within seven days of the vehicle entering Ireland. The whole process of registration must be done within 30 days, and confirmation of the appointment must be carried in the vehicle at all times until registration has taken place.

For a vehicle to be considered to be in Ireland on a temporary basis it must be owned or registered to a non-resident person and it cannot be driven by an Irish resident. All the vehicles taxes in its country of registration must also be paid. Other conditions apply.

  • For further information on bringing a car into Ireland temporarily: Click here

Details of unregistered vehicles may be held by the Garda (police) or Revenue Officials. If a vehicle is registered after the 30 day period specified, it may be liable to an additional assessment of VRT.

Where to register a vehicle

Foreign vehicles must undergo inspection and be registered at a National Car Testing Service (NCTS) Centre.

  • To find a centre and book an appointment: Click here
  • For further information from the NCTS: Click here

Alternatively, call the Vehicle Registration Tax Booking office, Tel: 1890 927 787.

How to register a vehicle

When registering a vehicle at the NCTS centre, applicants must provide proof of identity (such as a passport or driving licence), their PPS (personal public service) number and the vehicle chassis number.

The following documents will be needed to register a used foreign vehicle:

  • A completed declaration form for a used foreign vehicle. To download the form: Click here (PDF)
  • Evidence of previous registration (exportation certificate, deregistration certificate, foreign certificate of registration)
  • A copy of the sales document as proof of purchase
  • A document verifying name and address (such as bank statement)
  • Evidence of PPS number, such as pay slip

A vehicle is considered as used if it was first registered at least three months ago and it has travelled over 3,000 Km.

It may also be necessary to provide (if applicable):

  • Information about where the vehicle has been stored
  • Shipping details
  • Exemption details if claiming exemption from VRT
  • Details about C02 emissions
  • Roadworthiness certificate

It is important to check exactly which documents are required to register a used foreign vehicle as failure to provide the correct information may result in a higher VRT charge.

To register a new foreign vehicle, the same documents as detailed above are required. In addition:

  • Submit a declaration form for a new vehicle. To download the form: Click here (PDF)
  • Provide a European Community Whole Vehicle Type-Approval (ECWVTA) Certificate of Conformity (if the vehicle is coming from the EU) or the relevant Approval Certificate from the country where it was manufactured or evidence as to where the vehicle has been previously registered

New vehicles must not be driven on the road without registration plates.

  • For more details about required documentation for registering a new foreign vehicle: Click here

Registration of a new or used foreign vehicle should be done in person by the owner. If somebody else registers the vehicle on the owner's behalf, written consent must be submitted and the person registering the vehicle must also provide proof of identity.

During the registration process the vehicle is examined to make sure it matches all the information provided, such as make, model, the VIN (vehicle identification number), registration details (if previously registered) and so on. The information provided is cross checked with the vehicle and must match.

After the vehicle has been examined and accepted for registration, the examiner will give the owner a document to sign which details the specifications. After this, and after all tax has been paid, the vehicle will be registered and allocated a registration number.

Do you have a suggestion to improve this page? click here...

Looking for an international business opportunity? Why not run an AngloINFO site?
AngloINFO is growing fast and is looking for the right people to take on regional AngloINFO franchises around the world - click here to find out more!

AngloINFO Franchising: Be your own boss - where you want to be!